Friday, February 19, 2010

I don't know what is programming............


After spending a couple of years as a hardcore programmer , I have realized that I don't know what
is programming or I can say that I have been doing programming since the day I was born .
While I was programming a new chat system, I observed that I have been missed out something for  so many years of programming.There lies a striking similarity between programming and day to day life.

Life is a series of the sequences woven together logically and programming is no different. It may because of the educational culture of India that I couldnt observe such a beautiful similarity before .

Lets take an example when we ask someone “what's your program dude?” or we when say to bunch of our friends”lets set the program”. Or when we turn on the idiot box runs a list of coming up programs, it means a sequence of predefined actions.

Lets break this buzz word “Software Programming”,” software”= computer instruction or data , “program” = a series of the steps to be carried out.
Software programming is a sequence of the predefined instructions to the computer (in short) . For every input there are some predefined actions to be performed, for example when we insert our ATM card into the cash dispenser machine the software in that machine has been designed to read the card, on clicking “withdrawal” to dispense cash.

This is something similar to the good old banking culture,where we use to fill up the pay in slip and hand it over to the teller (whose cold looks can even freeze the time) who will send it over for further processing and after spending hours over there u get your long awaited money.

After thinking lot over it I realized that software programming is not an end product(as it is projected to the newbies) its a mean to achieve it. In the above stated example of the ATM cash dispenser machine,software installed wont generate the money or it wont create the ink to print the receipt .But rather logically woven string of actions: when the card is inserted read it when clicked enter open the vault when user wants to wind up print the receipt .

I laugh now at myself for the moments when I used to say “I can do anything” The fact is that I can weave the software into a series of sequential actions to achieve a certain task .Java can be use to make a program to prepare the coffee but it cannot create coffee beans,

Program a Great weekend Guys........

No comments:

Post a Comment